Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Wolves and Men Playlist II


Henry Nearly Killed Me (It’s a Shame) by Ray LaMontagne


This song really kicks things into gear, and I can’t help but fall in love with it. It is energetic, compelling, and makes me want to RUN FOR MY LIFE! The vocals by Ray LaMontagne are just consistent with anything he sings. Ever. His voice is so interesting, gritty, and full of surprises. This song reminds me of scenes I’ve read from Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner, and the film version of Cormac McCarthy’s No Country For Old Men. 







Stay With Me by New Found Land


To abruptly switch things up, we move on to this slow, somber ballad by New Found Land. It is pleading. It is sweet. It might move you to tears. I love it for its emotionally evocative melody and heartfelt lyrics. It probably influenced a lot of scenes all over the book, as the protagonist is characterized by a lot of emotional baggage. 








Meet Me By the Water by Rachael Yamagata




This lovesick and contemplative ballad by Yamagata is rich and heavy. It aches with yearning and loneliness. And it makes me want to go fishing. All of these qualities make it a perfect inspiration for the setting of Wolves and Men: Willow’s Bend, a wildlife refuge teeming with life and mystery. 






Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson

Have you ever felt like you had the breath knocked right out of you? Like the bottom just fell out of your entire world? This song is for you. It communicates the way you feel when dealing with the aftermath of the thing you never saw coming. It is for the blindsided. The stunned. When this world is too much, this song reminds you to...well, keep breathing. As tragedy is a central theme in Wolves and Men, the protagonist experienced the dazed/stunned/collapsed concept that I think is portrayed in this song. 







Into The Wild- Live by LP

This is perhaps one of the most dynamic songs I’ve ever heard, and was such a treasure during the final stages of writing my novel. I don’t even think I can summon words to describe it...it is just too much. It evokes so much energy, so many emotions and images... You simply must go find it and listen for yourself!





...

What songs inspire you artistically?


What do you think of the songs/artists I mentioned above? 





No comments:

Post a Comment