Friday, August 29, 2014

Spotlighting Three Influential Novels

Below are three novels which have been some of the most influential fiction on my thinking and writing: 


1. The Catcher in the Rye


         This cult classic novel by the famously elusive (and recently deceased) J.D. Salinger has influenced a lot of people, including assassins, psychopaths, and Mel Gibson’s character in the 1997 film Conspiracy Theory. Why that is, I’m not sure. Is it evil? I don’t think so. I think it’s actually painfully honest, and it’s painfully honest about a lot of ugly things. What draws me to this classic is the empathy that’s evoked for Holden Caulfield’s character, his empathy for others, and those all-too-common moments of, “I know exactly what he’s trying to say,” that occur throughout my reading. I strongly recommend that you read it if you haven’t, and I have a feeling that many in conservative Christian circles have not. The spiritual/emotional challenge will, I think, benefit you much more than cause any harm by exposing you to ugly realities and the perhaps distorted perceptions of a bitter and traumatized adolescent in the early ‘40s and ‘50s. This particular piece of literature is a work of art that is left raw, bleeding, and painful- and yet, perhaps it is this very set of qualities that allow it to come across so poignantly as organic and real. 


 

       So how has the novel influenced me? Salinger has challenged me to seek to share truth through fiction. If the heart of it isn’t true, or if something feels “phony” about the events or characters, then it is simply sub-standard fiction. 


         Two words of caution: I do think the novel is suited for a mature audience. And if you find yourself compelled to acquire several copies for your own personal collection...seek help.


2. Pride and Prejudice


         I believe it was in the ninth grade when I picked up a copy of the book from the school library, completely on a whim. It honestly took me a few times to read the first couple pages before I understood anything of what was going on or what Jane Austen was trying to say. This was my first plunge into classic English literature, and once I tasted of it, I couldn’t get enough. Elizabeth Bennet’s strength, poise, and honesty were easy to admire and identify with even at such a young age. The events that occurred with her sisters and their suitors were completely unexpected and at times difficult to understand because of the culture and language that must necessarily be digested right along with the storyline. 


        But here’s the thing: I liked the challenge. I enjoyed learning about 19th century England and women who lived in such a foreign culture. It was the first time I read a book with the intention of being challenged as well as enjoying the story, and it totally altered my approach to literature, reading, and ultimately, writing. I liked that it wasn’t easy for me, and that I was changed by it in the end. That’s the kind of reader I’ve aspired to be since then, and the kind of writer I hoped to be while working on Wolves and Men. Of course, my book is nothing like Austen’s, but I do hope it comes across as more profound than a simply stated “easy read”. Austen’s style has a realistic complexity to it, as well as an elusive simplicity, which give it weight and value as literature. I continue to work to develop a writing style that communicates these same qualities.


3. Ethan Frome




         This book by Edith Wharton is the first novel I recall reading in which the author simultaneously withheld from me what I wanted, and yet enchanted me with the way she delivered her story. There is a lot to be said for stories that give us what we want, because a lot of what we want has its roots in something good and noble and natural. For instance, the “happily ever after” endings of classic princess tales and modern day romances are not merely marks of immaturity in the authors who write them and the readers who devour them (although I do believe in consuming a healthy balance of literature). I think, when read rightly, this type of ending only stirs up the very pure desire for an eternity in heaven and an end to all our present-day troubles. (And surely there is much more to be said on this topic, but I digress.) 




         However, when approaching literature as an art form, I think there is something to be said for revealing the still-here-on-earth endings when our deepest desires are not given to us or to our protagonist. If the story ultimately says something sad- or more than sad in the case of Ethan Frome- emotionally crushing- and yet you’ve successfully connected with the character, empathized with him/her, recognized truth in the story and enjoyed the skillful way in which the journey was portrayed, then I think something profoundly satisfying and admirable was achieved. In the end, I loved Ethan Frome because it moved me. I was first empathetic toward the characters and their difficult situations, then conflicted by the immorality of the same characters, and then moved to compassion for them all over again. All the while, Wharton’s style of writing makes for an enjoyable journey. I’ve since aspired to reach for novels that offer me something more challenging than the fulfillment of my most simple human desires. I try to reach for novels that challenge my thinking, my understanding of the English language, or my emotions by way of withholding something in a way that is still enjoyable. 


         These are just my top three, and I can’t wait to hear yours. 

...


Updates on the Wolves and Men paperback release: 


1. The paperback is currently at the printer! This means we will soon have a proof in hand, as well as a book release date! 

2. Below is a photo of the location where I had the privilege of being interviewed by my publisher, a lovely lady and dear friend by the name of Callie Ferguson with Bee Creative, Inc. It is a skype interview which should be made public in the next week or two. I can't wait to share the video with you, as I disclose more insights into the novel and my writing process! Also... I really, really want to steal all of her decorating techniques. I couldn't imagine a better background for conversation about Wolves and Men...except perhaps in a cabin in the woods? Maybe we'll do one there in the future. ;) 


...

1. What questions would you like to have answered by your favorite authors?

2. What are some novels that influenced you the most?

3. What was your reaction to your reading of The Catcher in the Rye?




No comments:

Post a Comment