Monday, August 25, 2014

The Wolves and Men Playlist IV



Music continues to be a major part of my writing process, as I've always been deeply inspired and moved by the music I listen to. And I always welcome any recommendations, as I'm constantly trying to find something new to be inspired by.

Here are just a few more key songs by musicians who inspired the scenes and characters of Wolves and Men. 

**Scroll down to the bottom for a few more updates on the publishing process of the paperback!



Bull Black Nova by Wilco


This song is truly fascinating. I tend to experience an actual physical reaction to its alarming lyrics and nerve-racking rhythm. This made the song perfect for the scene in the last excerpt, in which Danny and Charlotte are in a vehicle together. Re-read the excerpt and listen to this song, and you’ll see what I’m talking about. Or if you already have your copy of the ebook, check out the scene for yourself in chapter four. The lyrics remind me of the moral conflict and feeling of panic as experienced by the characters during such a suspenseful scene.






Someone to Watch Over Me by Cœur de Pirate (avec Ben Charest)

I had never heard this song before when I heard it performed by Cœur de Pirate. Her performance of the classic is tender and endearing. It encapsulates that feeling we perhaps all have at one time or another- the need to be watched over, to be taken care of. It particularly suited the writing of the scenes that involved a hint of romance in the later chapters.





Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths

This song also contributes to the romantic undertones throughout the novel. I love the plain honesty of the lyrics, and how the very unpretentiousness of the song makes it incredibly romantic. I’ve actually caught myself praying the title of the song, and laughing at myself for doing so, because it so clearly communicates what I really want to say to the Creator of the universe a lot of the time.





Yes I’m Cold by Chris Bathgate



As soon as the banjo starts up on this track, I suddenly feel as though the air around me is cleaner, crisper, and I’m taken back to the winding hills of the Ozark mountains. I can feel the rush of late September air on my skin and see a sparkling glimpse of lake water between the trees. I feel the excitement of adventure alongside the tenderness of new love. I suppose it ended up on the “soundtrack” to my novel for sheer love of the song and the emotions and memories it conjures every time it’s played. 





Old Pine by Ben Howard

Old Pine evokes images of camping, and invariably reminds me of my husband and the fraternity he shares with his childhood friends. The lyrics are interesting and poetic, conjuring images of campfires and Autumn leaves on lake shores and wooded slopes.


“We slept like dogs 
down by the fire side
Awoke to the fog all around us 
The boom of summer time”






A few updates:

1. As you know, the ebook was released last Tuesday, August 19th! So far, sales are going smoothly and we already have an excellent review or two up on Amazon.com. So how can you help show your support? Once you've read the book, please hop onto Amazon.com (and log into your account) and post a review! That could help tremendously with getting the word out. :) 

2. I know a lot of you are waiting for the paperback, and that's great! We are currently working with the talented Astrea Creative to get the interior layout of the book just perfect! And this is the last big piece of the puzzle. After that, we'll go through a proofing process with the actual paperback in hand just before releasing the book. 

3. I had a great time being interviewed this weekend by Bee Creative, Inc, and that interview will be made available in 2 or 3 weeks. More information on that to come! 


...



Do you have any music recommendations? If so, I'd love to hear them! 


How are you enjoying the ebook so far? 



2 comments: